Tuesday 2 August 2011

Rock and Roll and Old Man Strength

Does anyone remember long ago when we would play games like capture the flag or doing some other physical activity.  Maybe you remember helping on the farm while you were growing up.  Do you remember how much stronger the older men were?  Not just because they had a more advanced muscular development than you, it seemed that they were given a special "old man strength" that made them stronger than their physique could allow...  Last weekend, I found out that "old man strength" was not limited to physical activities but is equally applicable in Rock and Roll.
This past weekend I went up to Edmonton to visit with family that I have there. On the Saturday I was there, my cousin and I went to the Capital X (formerly known as Klondike Days), which is the carnival that passes through Edmonton every year.  To my delight, I found out that Chilliwack and Blue Öyster Cult were going to perform there and the only cost was the admission to get through the gate to the carnival.  I paid my $12.00 and made a bee line to the stage and waited.  Presently the members of Chilliwack came on the stage, tuned their own guitars and played one of the best sets that I have ever seen.  None of the new rock n rollers that I have ever seen have anything on this classic rock group.  Like I said, they knew how to tune their own guitars (and they didn't have a zillion of those either, they only had one electric guitar and an acoustic guitar each, Not a new guitar for every song), they played together and everyone stayed in their own pocket.  The sound was tweaked perfectly, they interacted with the crowd well and were a general pleasure to watch.  Sadly their set ended.  After a few minutes of waiting, Blue Öyster Cult came on stage and I was again blown away!  They were very entertaining and sounded excellent, despite having to play the show on borrowed gear, since the airline lost theirs.  Both of these acts were excellent and thinking back on it, I have seen lots of old acts that were likewise great: Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden, Def Leopard  just to name a few, and each time they were way better than their younger counterparts.  Maybe its just coincidence, or maybe its the Old Man Strength manifesting itself in Rock.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews